Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed covers the planning, design, prototype testing, implementation, migration, administration, and support of a Windows 2008 R2 and Active Directory environment, based on more than three and a half years of early adopter experience in full production environments. This book addresses not only what is new with Windows 2008 R2 compared to previous versions of the Windows Server product, but also what is different and how the similarities and differences affect an organization’s migration to Windows 2008 R2. Chapters are dedicated to the migration process from Windows 2003/2008 to Windows 2008 R2, how to properly use Group Policies in Windows 2008 R2, and tips and tricks on managing and administering a Windows 2008 R2 environment.
The authors cover the technologies new to Windows 2008 R2, such as Hyper-V R2, updates to Failover Clustering, Remote Desktop Services, Migration Tools, and more! This book doesn’t just describe the features and functions included in Windows 2008 R2--there are notes throughout the book explaining how organizations have successfully used the technologies to fulfill core business needs. Tips, tricks, and best practices share lessons learned from hundreds of implementations of Windows 2008 R2 in real-world environments.
Detailed information on how to…
- Plan and migrate from Windows 2003/2008 to Windows 2008 R2
- Leverage new tools and utilities that simplify system and network administration functions
- Enable the latest security technologies to improve secured enterprise computing
- Better manage a Windows 2008 R2 Active Directory environment
- Optimize a Windows 2008 R2 environment for better scalability and enhanced performance
- Implement Windows 2008 R2 for better branch office and remote office integration
- Design a Windows 2008 R2 environment to support the latest in clustering, stretched clusters, fault tolerance, and redundant systems technologies
- Take advantage of add-on technologies available for Windows 2008 R2, including Windows SharePoint Services, Microsoft Hyper-V virtualization, Windows Media Services, and IIS 7.5 web server solutions
Rand, Michael, and Chris work for Convergent Computing, an IT consulting firm in the San Francisco Bay area that has three and a half years of early adopter experience with Windows 2008 R2. In collaboration with co-authors Omar Droubi and Ross Mistry, the authors helped organizations of all sizes plan, migrate, implement, and test Windows 2008 R2 in production environments. The book was written from direct experiences where Windows 2008 R2 was put into enterprise production environments focused to meet specific strategic business requirements.
Category: Windows Server
Covers: Windows Server 2008 R2
User Level: Intermediate--Advanced